2020, April 3.
On March 2, BB called from Middle School, he wasn't feeling well. I took him to urgent care and got a positive test for Influenza A. That night, tornadoes tore through middle Tennessee leaving a path of damage over 50 miles long. Two Wilson County schools were completely destroyed. Businesses, buildings, homes, churches were flattened. There was no more school that week. The following week, which was spring break, our schools scrambled to figure out a way to keep these kids in schools, without their buildings. A plan emerged that the displaced kids and teachers would share ~ MJMS kids would use their school from 8-12, WWMS faculty and their students would use it from 1-5. Practices and matches and rehearsals were being rearranged, extended care being discussed, and a plan emerged.
Then, the spread of the virus causing COVID19 exploded globally. People stopped traveling, many stopped going to their offices (including me), grocery shopping became anxiety inducing, and school did not start back with their new plan. The schools here are closed until April 30, officially, but I will be surprised if they go those 13 days of May.
So, effectively, Summer break probably started March 2 for my 4th grader and 6th grader. First year on the tennis team. No games. No TaeKwonDo testing and advancement. No Scouts, no camping. We have a full summer planned with new and exciting opportunities. Will they happen?
I am so very fortunate that I can work from home, as I don't know exactly what I would do with my family if I had to go in every day. There are so many families facing so many hard choices. Livelihoods lost or diminished, fear everywhere. Birthdays, graduations, class trips being missed, memories rearranged. People dying. Mistrust and misinformation sowing seeds of anger, doubt, and fear. I have to both explain this to my boys and shield them from parts of it.
Our silver linings: I am getting to spend so much more time with my boys. Yes, they drive me nuts some of that time, but I am so, so glad to have this time with them. Musicians and artists who are stuck at home are sharing their talents and their gifts so freely online to help us all navigate this locked down life. We have seen so many acts of kindness and generosity.
Robert is still working in health care, and that causes me a lot of worry, but I am grateful that he still has a job to do. But this post is not about those fears.