Was a lot of fun. It was strange to look at last year's photo and see the little man's changes. We had some friends over, and the kids ran around in the sprinkler and blew bubbles in the summer heat. I find it hard to express the delight I derive from watching my boys together. The little guy watches the big guy, and the similarities are sometimes surreal. Watching my husband be a dad is one of the coolest things in the world to me. Watching them "play" with blocks together, read books, even starting to play back and forth with a ball - it is all pure joy. Just this last week or so, little man started to really get the throwing back and forth thing... he has a pretty good arm! And, if you tell him "go long!" he will back up, and back up... it's precious.
Baby gates and beer: It is also fun/interesting to watch the guys gather now. Once upon a time, there was more beer involved, and most CERTAINLY less talk about poop, birth experiences, and placentas. Now, they are different, from fatherhood. Now they change diapers, cut up hotdogs, and fill sippy cups on their way to the cooler for another cold one. And, one of the newer dads needed some direction on how to open the door to the bathroom, since it has a childproofing device on it... I cannot help but think we are richer now. For all the freedom and frivolity of youth, which was great fun, make no mistake; this new dimension makes us more complex; and, I have to think, more compassionate people. We are automatically wired now to consider this other person, (or other people) at all times. I'm not trying to say that parents are in any way better than people without children. (I know an abundance of wonderfully compassionate not-parents!) Just different. All your filters change. You see and feel things differently. And, for me, that is pretty cool.