So, once a month was more than I could manage in November and December. C'est La Vie. And what a vie. Little man's second birthday was a lot of fun for everyone. Two sets of grandparents came for Thanksgiving, which was wonderful, and we had a small party for the birthday boy. His personality is so enchanting now. He is getting much better at telling us what he wants or "needs" and we can have exchanges which resemble actual conversations now! Now, to work on the whining part of the delivery... but, truthfully, he really is such a delight. Thanksgiving was a fun time to share the news that the little guy needs to practice his big brother skills with the family. It seems that the past two (okay, three) months have just whizzed by, leaving me a bit windblown, with a dazed look on my face, I suspect.
December was a whirlwind and this year we actually interacted with Santa several times without tears. There were a few that didn't go well, but it got better as we saw him out and about more and more. Being together on Christmas morning and watching my boys open up and play with their new toys was such a joy. Then we were off to Atlanta for a few days of family, food, cookies and craziness. It was amazing. We really had such a good time with all of both sides of our families all together ~ even if the grill did almost catch my sweetie's hair on fire. No one was actually harmed, and we had a really great day. I especially enjoyed that my little guy got to spend time with his grandparents and cousins who he doesn't get to see as often. It was very special to have them all running around and such fun to watch them interact.
So, now it's 2010. We are starting the potty training process. He will sit on, and sometimes urinate in, the "potty." (Note: None of us go to the bathroom anymore. We all go potty. Things you never think you will hear yourself say.) Yesterday, Dad asked him if he was ready to go potty. He said yes, ran into the bathroom naked and peed on the floor. At least he got the right room.... Like most kids his age, however, if he is doing something interesting or fun, he does not want to stop what he is doing and go. It's a process. I fear he has already figured out it is something he actually gets a vote in! We can take him in there, but we can't make him go! Seeing him sitting on the throne with a book, though, really is just too hilarious for me. Cracks me up every time.
SO (drum roll, please) this weekend, we plan to go get the BIG BOY BED. Sigh. I don't know if he's ready. I am pretty sure I am not. But, it's time. We have to get him settled in his own space before July so he doesn't resent the usurper in HIS crib quite as much. Which also means we have to get a mattress, twin sheets - it's going to be a big deal. I am excited, but think that it may be a while before any of us gets a decent night's sleep. Maybe I'm wrong, he has made so many other transitions so seamlessly... I guess we'll just have to see.
Our big snow storm ended up giving us a little more than an inch. Just enough to make snowballs. It was fun, if cold. We will celebrate our anniversary on January 30th. It's hard to believe. These years have gone by so quickly. I can hardly visualize a past without my wonderful husband, and I can't imagine what adventures these boys hold for me in the next year. I do know that I am looking forward to finding out!