So, it's March. 1Q 2010 has flown right by me. We are more than halfway through the construction of boy number two, and everything seems to be going well. The photos available to expectant parents today are really amazing. I wonder how it was, before, when one simply had to wait and wonder... and wait and wonder... I suppose it was exciting, but I confess that the type A part of me loves having access to exact information about how he is doing, what he looks like, etcetera. Technology ~ both the bane and benefit of life in general, and parenting in particular. While our grandparents didn't have the thrill of seeing their children in detail before they were born, they also didn't have to worry about the brave new world of technology and it's inherent dangers. I have been recently reading about some of the really scary things that happen online ~ from people sharing photos on Facebook without strict privacy settings and their kids' images being sent hither and yon for various purposes (not always predatory, but one still likes to have some control over who sees their precious little one's faces and know what they are being used for) to this whole "sexting" thing. I mean, (though I hope to not have to worry about this for a while yet :-) ) back when "I'll show you, you show me" was just between two kids, it was fraught enough ~ but now those moments can amount to "I'll show you, and then you'll show everyone on the internet..." it's enough to keep a parent awake at night! I guess I am old fashioned. That's why the photos you see on these potentially "public" sites don't ever show our little man's face, and I send photos securely to those we love and trust. It's just safer, and as mom, my job is to protect him from - well, everything - except, of course, those life experiences which will help him build character... but that comes later. :-) I won't guard him from learning things, but I will always try to protect him from unnecessary dangers.
Soap box away now. (This SOC forum is always fun for me... sometimes I don't really know what I have to say until I start typing.)
The littlest member of our family is very active these days, I think he may have a future as a soccer player, or a really good dancer like his mom. I continue to feel good, though sometimes a wee bit frustrated that there are things I cannot do. But, my wonderful husband more than picks up the extra things that need doing and is pretty much the coolest guy I know. I frequently wish I had figured out how truly amazing he is a long, long time ago. But, I suppose we are where we are supposed to be, and it is wonderful. Sometimes, when we really think about what it is going to be like with two little boys in the house, it makes us laugh nervously... but we are really excited. When you don't think you can have something miraculous, it makes you appreciate it more when you do actually get it.
The little man already outside continues to amaze us. He is talking up a storm, and no longer just the parrot... now he speaks independent, spontaneous thought. "I love this song." "Are you happy, Mommy? It makes me glad when you are happy." "I want potty chocolates." (Which, while adorable, just sounds wrong, somehow.) In the public restroom, he asks, (not quietly) "Did you go pee in the potty, Mommy?" My current favourite was this past week... Dad was trying to get him to come into the bathroom to brush his teeth. I was in the kitchen. Little man comes running out of the bedroom, heading for the toys. I ask, "What are you doing?" He replies, "I not listening to Daddy." Honest, and pretty self aware, if not the answer I was hoping for... He loves throwing a ball of any kind (and knows the difference between football, baseball, and soccer balls) and cars of all ilk. He is much, much better at building things with his blocks, though knocking them down still holds a great deal of joy. His imagination is clearly developing. I came home the other day to find he and Daddy with the building blocks - they had made a kitchen, and all the Lego guys were sitting at the table they had built, while my boys made their food in the "kitchen." He builds cars and trucks and airplanes. His architectural style is currently sort of a drunken Jackson Pollack approach... but they are fun to watch, if not structurally sound. He is still a voracious devourer of books - something I think will be long term. (It's hereditary.) I actually downloaded a Curious George book on the Kindle to read in the doctor's office the other day ~ SO COOL.
So, we are well, and hope you are.