So, over a year since the last post. Clearly I am terribly serious about my second career as a writer...
It has just hit me, today, that after this summer, both my boys will be in school. Ride the bus, I have no control over what they are exposed to, exciting, learning, big boy school. Kindergarten and second grade. Wow. No more grabbing LB to rush him to day care on my way to the station. I will leave the house alone every morning. I truly wonder how that will feel. I already feel a bit odd whenever I get into the car alone to go do... anything, really.
They are both so interesting, so individual, so smart, and yet so much still babies. This is the start of the time where it will really start to show if we are teaching them the important things they need to know to get on in this world. Kindness, patience, empathy, confidence, independence. I cannot believe that these little people are so very grown up already. Our family has changed in so many ways, and I feel like a dreadful historian.
Both of them played soccer last fall, which was great fun, if a bit hectic. I don't see how people manage running around, spending any time together, commuting, working, and keeping the house inhabitable as well as multiple sports or clubs. I can just barely keep my head above water, most of the time, and there are never enough minutes in a day to feel like I am teaching my children, or appreciating my husband. Perhaps I need a bigger washing machine. Just do it all at once, when their drawers are empty.
This mom thing is the coolest gig ever, though. No question. Man, I love those boys.